Not every mold or yeast can spoil your product. A total yeast and mold count may not be meaningful unless you know what microorganism(s) you are looking for. Know your product characteristics and what kind of mold or yeast can spoil it. Then, monitor your environment and ingredients for that specific microorganism. BCN Labs is well known for its spoilage investigation/prevention audits.
Spoilage/Investigation Prevention Audits
The purpose of this on-site spoilage investigation audit is to investigate the source(s) of spoilage at the processing facility as well as to review all sanitation procedures to determine if they are adequate. This audit is designed to help the plant in preventing or reducing future product spoilage.
Services Provided During Audit
The following services will be provided during the plant visit:
• Audit of the processing line(s) and other areas that could harbor bacteria (including pathogens), yeast and molds that could spoil the product: equipment, environment, packaging, ingredient storage, batching room, filler room, bottle rinser/sterilizer, depalletizer, etc.
• Audit can be customized for target organisms such as pathogens, acetic acid bacteria, yeast, heat-resistant molds (HRM), preservative-resistant fungi or xerophilic fungi
• Review of sanitation SOPs, cleaners used and concentrations, sanitizers used and concentration, cleaning equipment, GSPs, etc .
• Environmental sampling that will include swabs, sponges, air plates and water samples.
• Recommendations and improvements that could prevent or reduce future spoilage issues.
• One to three days of in-plant inspection and document review
• 5 to 10 days for lab testing, identification and review
• up to 14 days for final report